Guam is the largest and farthest southern island of the Mariana Island chain located in the Western Pacific Ocean. It is quite remote and one could only imagine what type of wild animals inhabit the unpredictable island. The jungles are dense, terrains are steep river ravines, tall grass, mountains, and swamps. There are many different types of species that can be hunted and in order to properly do this, the right gun and skills are required.
The Animals Of Guam
The creatures that live in Guam range from microscopic to huge and in order to hunt them, you need to know the rules.
- Legal shooting time is a half hour before sunset and sunrise.
- A hunting license is required and has to be on the person hunting.
- Deer tag is required.
- Safety clothing is required and must be visible from the front and back. It must be hunter orange, but not orange-camo.
- Minimum age to hunt is 13 years old. Anyone between 13 and 17 must be accompanied by a hunter 18 years and older with a hunting license.
- Hunting from a vehicle or beast of burden is prohibited.
- No lights and fire allowed while hunting.
- Dogs may be used to retrieve killed birds during the bird season only. They are not allowed to hunt, track, or kill any other animal.
These are some of the main rules for hunting in Guam. As we all know, breaking these rules, just like any other place in the world, can be punishable by law. So, with that said, what kind of animals can be legally hunted?
- Deer-daily and annual limit of 3.
- Wild pig- No limit
- Wild goats- No limit
- Black Francolin-daily limit of 5, no annual limit.
- Philippine Turtle Dove-Only when in season.
Guns For Hunting
In Guam, there are only certain types of guns that can be used to hunt these wild animals such as shotguns, muzzleloaders, centerfire rifles, crossbows and handguns with certain specifications. Here are a few guns that may be used:
- Savage Arms Model 220 Bolt-Action Slug Shotgun–These are great for hunting deer, wild pigs, and wild goats.
- Thompson/Center Pro Hunter FX Muzzleloader .50 Caliber– These can only be used with a single bullet or round ball.
- Henry Big Boy Centerfire Rifle .357 Mag.–
- TenPoint Stealth S S Crossbow with ACUdraw-
Use Of Red Dot Sights
Some hunters prefer to use a red dot sight attached to their gun for better accuracy. A red dot sight has its strengths and weaknesses, as like all other guns and accessories. The advantage of these sights is that you can place your head in any position you would like. As long as you can see that red dot on the target, you can shoot and most likely hit it. The downside to these sights is that they don’t magnify.
If you want to equip your gun with a red dot sight, make sure you get the best one on the market for your gun. You can check out a list of the best red dot sights for the money to help you figure out which one would be right for you. Since hunting in Guam may prove difficult to some without this type of sight, it could be a consideration for you.